Monday, January 15, 2007

Pirates of Silicon Valley

You could call me a sloth. But I wouldn't deny that I love to sit back and relax on weekends, especially if I have a good book or movie for company. Going by these rules, last weekend was a great one for me. I started reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, and I watched two movies - Tarzan (Disney animation) and Pirates of Silicon Valley. I will defer my comments on the book for another post. Tarzan was a good one too. But I cannot wait to post a note about Pirates of Silicon Valley.



The movie shows the rise of Microsoft and Apple during the 1970-80s. Starting with the college lives of the members of the two camps - Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak (Apple) on one side, and Bill Gates, Paul Allen and Steve Ballmer (Microsoft) on the other, the movie progresses with the brewing struggle between the two stalwarts, Jobs and Gates. The story documents the trials and tribulations the two camps went through, and the ethical (or unethical?) decisions they took. The movie beautifully depicts Jobs and Gates as individuals - their business acumen, their passion and dream for success, and the way they moulded the destiny of humanity with regards to computers and technology.

I do not want to put the details in here and be a spoilsport. :)
People ought to watch the movie for themselves.
For folks who know most of the facts about the rise of Microsoft and Apple, it might simply be a refreshing summary. But for people who are largely unaware of the history, its an eye-opener!!!

No comments: