Thursday, February 12, 2009

Choose your Linux Distribution

A few days back, I was browsing around to see if I can find a distribution similar to Ubuntu, but that came a number of built-in features (such as playing mp3s) that folks migrating from Windows would expect to be present by default. Of course, I can install Ubuntu and then download and install the codecs, but the target machine does not has a limited usage network connection. And yes, I could have built a custom-Ubuntu snapshot distribution from my home machine that is running Ubuntu and that has all the software for usual tasks, but I thought it would be a good exercise to find and try out another Linux distribution that fits these criteria.

With some browsing around, I came to the conclusion that may be I should go and try Linux Mint - as usable as Ubuntu with all the basic built-in features like mp3 support, as expected by new migrants from Windows world, and Linux Mint can use the same Ubuntu package repositories as well, so no dearth of software.

During my search, I found a link to this Linux Distribution Chooser. It asks you certain questions to ascertain what you are looking for in your choice of a Linux distribution, and suggests you a few Linux distributions that fit your criteria. Thought to give it a try. And guess what turned up as the best fit : Linux Mint 6 (Codename Felicia) and the next best fit : Ubuntu. So I was not wrong in my search, after all! Try the distribution chooser and see what suits you. :) I am quite sure there would be more such distribution choosers available.

No comments: